Goto Comments Goto Comments End
PRIZES: The Cook-Off Judging Panel will select: (a) A Grand Prize Winner for the Best Beef Burger, who will receive a cash prize of $100,000.
(b) A Best Alternative Burger Winner, who will receive a cash prize of $15,000.
(c) A First Runner-Up for both Best Beef and Best Alternative Burgers, who will each receive a cash prize of $500.
(d) A Second Runner-Up for both Best Beef and Best Alternative Burgers, who will each receive a cash prize of $250.
2. People’s Choice Award - Guests attending the Cook-off will vote to choose their favorite burger from each category. The winner from each category will receive a cash prize of $2,500.
Total Cook-Off prize awards: $121,500.
(10) contestants, five (5) from each category [“Potential Finalist(s)”], will be selected by the Preliminary Judging Panel to be considered to compete in the National Cook-Off Finals in Napa Valley, California on May 18, 2013 (“Cook-Off Finals”).
2. Potential Finalists will be notified on or about October 22, 2012 regarding their eligibility to compete in the Cook-Off Finals. Potential Finalists will be required to complete and return by 5:00 PM (PST) on November 5, 2012, an Affidavit of Eligibility (“Affidavit”). If Sutter Home Winery does not receive the Affidavit by the deadline or, upon review of the Affidavit, the Sponsors, at their sole discretion, determine the Potential Finalist is ineligible under the Official Rules of the Contest, he/she will be disqualified and entitled to neither compensation nor prize, and another Potential Finalist will be selected. Once ten (10) Potential Finalists clear the review process, they will be announced as the Cook-Off Finalists (“Finalists”). Finalists will be officially notified the last week of November 2012 and receive instructions as to date, location, and availability of supplies for the Cook-Off Finals. Additional rules governing the Cook-Off Finals will be made available to the Finalists.
3. Sponsors will provide round-trip coach airfare for each Finalist and a guest (guest must be twenty-one years of age or older) from the gateway city nearest the Finalist’s home to a major airport near Napa Valley, accommodations for four nights (double occupancy), and $330 in cash included in your welcome package upon arrival at the event to cover all other travel expenses (excluding any alcohol beverage purchases) while at the event. The value of the trip will be determined by the Finalist’s geographic location, but is approximately $3,780. Total value of trips: approximately $37,800.
The Contest is open to U.S. residents, aged (21) years or older, except for the following: Residents of California.
There is no limit on the number of recipes you may submit.
Review and Additional Information
To enter online, log on to www.sutterhome.com and look for the Contest entry icon. Fill in the entry form, including your original recipe, and follow the on screen directions to submit.
1. Recipes may be submitted in two categories: Beef Burgers and Alternative Burgers.
2. To qualify in the Beef Burgers category, the patties must contain at least 75% beef (not veal).
3. To qualify in the Alternative Burgers category, the patties may be made from any ground food(s). Alternative patties may include beef, but beef must measure less than 75% of the patty ingredients.
1. All burgers must be composed of grilled patties (formed from ground beef or ground alternative foods) served on buns or other bread products (such as biscuits, focaccia, flatbreads, or tortillas). Burgers may include any combination of condiments (such as ketchup, mayonnaise, salsa, and mustard), spreads (such as tapenade and pesto), sauces (such as barbecue or hot sauce), cheeses, and toppings (such as bacon, onions, tomatoes, avocados, and lettuce). Every component of the burger must be placed between the bun or bread pieces, or served open-faced on a bread product. Side dishes and garnishes to plates or the tops of buns are not allowed. Unadorned wooden skewers may be used to hold burgers in place for presentation.
2. Each submitted recipe must be original and include the name of the recipe, readily available ingredients (found in most well-stocked supermarkets, specialty food markets, and local farmer’s markets), standard U.S. measurements, (such as cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, ounces, or pounds; please do not abbreviate), specific amounts for each ingredient (such as number of lettuce leaves or cup measurement of other greens and herbs, or teaspoons of salt and pepper; do not say “to taste” for any ingredient, but list exact amount so reviewers can judge how your burgers will taste), and be written to make six (6) regular-sized burgers or six (6) servings if making a single giant burger or multiple (12 or 18) small burgers or "sliders.". Each ingredient, including the bread product and all other elements, must be listed, preferably in order of use, followed by complete, step-by-step cooking instructions, including timing for any cooked components. All recipes must be completely preparable within two hours.
3. All cooked elements of the recipe must be prepared on a standard outdoor grill; fireproof pots and pans may be used on the grill for cooking components of the burgers. The heat level and cooking time should be written for the type of grill you use at home. Finalists will be required to use a gas grill during the Cook-Off Finals. The Sutter Home Culinary Center professionals will discuss any necessary differences or adjustments from charcoal to gas grills with the Finalists. Recipes containing directions that call for the use of conventional ovens, microwave ovens, or other cooking appliances will be disqualified. The use of small food preparation appliances, such as food processors or blenders, is acceptable.
4. The recipe must not have knowingly been previously published or have won another award, and the right to submit the recipe to the Contest must not be restricted in any way. Submission of a recipe is a warranty by the contestant that the contestant owns all copyrights and other intellectual property rights to the recipe and constitutes an assignment by the contestant of these rights to Sutter Home Winery.
5. A contestant may re-submit an updated version of his/her own original recipe that was previously submitted to Build a Better Burger Contests if the recipe was not chosen as a Finalist in past years.
You must be logged in to view comments:
Click here to Login.